Sunday, March 1, 2009

Love is All About "We": Getting Gorgeous

Let the recaps begin!

All photos below by The Wiebners unless otherwise noted. We purchased a disc of all unedited images from our wedding day, so some post-processing has been done by me for the purpose of sharing the photos with you. Click on any photo to enlarge.

After our rehearsal dinner, I truly felt nothing but excitement for the next day. I had stressed for long enough over all of the little details — I couldn't change anything at that point and was more than ready for our big day to arrive after a 19-month engagement. I actually felt pretty calm (which is so unlike me).

I spent my last night as a single gal with my mom in the Presidential Suite (ooh la la!) of The Desmond. I slept like a dream and awoke around 8:30 on September 20 feeling refreshed and ready to go. Emily arrived soon after and got right down to business setting up her workspace.


Soon after, Natalie also arrived, and one-by-one my bridesmaids started trickling in. It was time to get beautified!

Bridesmaid Chrissy getting made up and looking adorable {photo by SIL Cupcake}

Emily primping MIL Cupcake... see the pin she's wearing on her shirt? It's a "Mother of the Groom" pin that Momma Cupcake wore while getting ready on my brother's wedding day, and passed it down to MIL Cupcake. {photo by SIL Cupcake}

I wasn't scheduled to begin hair and makeup right away, so while everyone else started their routines, I took some time to myself to take a nice long, warm shower and mentally prepare myself for the day ahead. I put on my Team Bride tank, the same one that SIL Cupcake wore while getting ready to get hitched to my brother in 2007 and generously lent to me for my big day.


Then, "Mission: Get Gorgeous" began! First up: Natalie, the hair magician.

Mrs. Cupcake needs some beautification. Badly.
(And could my posture be any less bridal? Sheesh.)
{photo by SIL Cupcake}

Natalie did a fabulous job on my hair and topped it off with the Twigs & Honey flower I had custom made.


Then it was time for Emily to work her magic and put my face on.

iPhone in lap? Check. Bridal glow? Check.


This is about when the nerves set in. Not nerves as in "do I really want to go through with this?" but nerves as in "this is the day we have been planning for so long, and it's really finally here, and I get to marry the love of my life. Eek!" Having my makeup applied really started to make it feel real.

Momma Cupcake, beautified and dressed, watching my transformation


As my makeup was coming along, the girls started coming back in after getting dressed in their rooms at The Desmond.

My Aunt Jane and cousins/bridesmaids Michele and Coleen, who came up from New Orleans for our big day

Michele had generously taken care of one of my last-minute to-dos for me: she bought 20 mini black and white parasols at a Mardi Gras store in New Orleans before boarding her plane to Philadelphia. We later used these while dancing it up to the Mummers Strut at the reception; the parasols were absolutely perfect. In case the other bridesmaids weren't sure how to strut, Michele demonstrated:


Chrissy returned to the suite, bearing a card from Mr. Cupcake. Instead of getting each other wedding gifts, we had both agreed to just write each other a nice card to exchange while we were getting ready.


Emily stopped doing my makeup for a moment so I could read what my hubby-to-be had written to me.


This is my "aww I'm so happy and lucky and I'm trying not to cry because I don't want to ruin my makeup" face. I love the reflection of Chrissy and Maid of Honor Nicole in the mirror.

Okay, Emily, stop slacking and get back to work!


I had purchased the Chanel lipcolor that Emily used during my makeup trial so I would have something for touch-ups throughout the day. I kept it in my $15 clutch from a no-name jewelry store in NYC and added the teal flower from Twigs & Honey.


Oh, my! Champagne! How did that get in here?


Back to the makeup...


When my makeup was all done, I took a look in the bathroom mirror and I got a little nervous; the flourescent lights made my cheeks look really, really pink, and I was nervous about the bags under my eyes (from lack of sleep for, oh, the last 3 months!); Emily patiently listened as I came back out a little panicky and asked if she could make a few adjustments.


We stood right next to the window to get a bit more natural light, which helped her be able to make a few final changes. In hindsight, I think she had it right the first time — I was just letting my nerves get to me! But I still felt better after we had it absolutely perfect.


Yup. Perfect!


Another special delivery arrived as I was just about ready to get into my dress: the flowers from Blue Moon Florist!

My bouquet {photo by SIL Cupcake}

Bridesmaids bouquets {photo by SIL Cupcake}

Then, it was just about time. Maid of Honor Nicole and Matron of Honor Kelli (9 months pregnant and a wonderful trooper!) excitedly got ready to help me into my dress...


You didn't think I would give it all to you at once, did you? You'll have to wait and see!

No comments: