Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Perfect Accent, Part 2: Bracelet (and Bridesmaid's Jewelry)


You've already seen my rings and my earrings — now onto the beautiful custom-made bracelet that I wore on our wedding day!

A lot of the wedding (or non-wedding, for that matter) jewelry I saw online and in jewelry stores was very blingy and crystal-fied. I wanted something with pearls to better accent the beading on my dress (and, now, the Lunessa earrings I would be wearing), but most of the pearl jewelry I could find was very traditional looking, which I didn't want. I wanted something that represented my taste and still went along with the whole ensemble, without being too matchy-matchy. (Man, do I sound picky! Hehe.)

Momma Cupcake, an elementary art teacher, still keeps in touch with a former student teacher she had a few years ago named Tracy; Tracy has a side-business making beautiful jewelry and loves taking on custom work. Coincidentally, Tracy had also made a bracelet for MOH Kelli when she got married, using crystals from her grandmother's old necklace (Kelli had found Tracy from an entirely different connection). Both Momma Cupcake and MOH Kelli loved Tracy's work and raved about her great prices, so I decided to talk to her about making a bracelet for me.

I showed Tracy a photo of my Lunessa earrings (which I didn't have in my posession just yet) and my dress, and described that I wanted a sort of "unstructured" looking pearl bracelet that wasn't too dainty but wasn't too thick, either. I didn't mind a few crystals to brighten it up, but I also didn't want it too blingy. Tracy said she could definitely put something together, and she'd let me know when it was ready! I left her to it, and was totally excited a week or so later when she showed me this:


It was beautiful and coordinated PERFECTLY with my earrings. I loved the double strands... I also have freakishly tiny wrists (normal bracelets usually hang off of me), so it was nice that Tracy had measured my wrist beforehand and the fit was just right.

Jewelry photos by me

Here's a shot of me wearing the bracelet on the wedding day — this was as Mr. Cupcake and I were exiting the church after our ceremony.

Non-pro photo by Mr. Cupcake's cousin, budding photographer Evan

And zoomed in:


And, simply because it's hysterical, the bracelet on my wrist while dancing like a fool with MOH Nicole at our reception. (You may remember that Nicole and I have a history of dancing like fools together.)

Non-pro photo by my friend, Blake

Tracy's work was so beautiful and affordable that I also asked her to make jewelry for all of my bridesmaids. Each of the girls has their own unique taste, and although they'd be wearing matching dresses I still wanted them to feel like themselves, so I asked Tracy to make six different pairs of earrings using the same blue and green crystals. I mentioned that MOH Kelli likes simpler, dainty jewelry, while bridesmaid/SIL Cupcake is more of the chandelier earring type of gal. Tracy ended up making 15 or so different styles of earrings in the same colors, and she let me pick the six I liked best for my girls! She also gifted me with a seventh pair for myself (which I brought along on the wedding day, just in case one of the girls forgot theirs).

I stupidly never took photos of all of the girls' earrings before I gave them to them, but here is the seventh pair that I kept for myself. I loved that everyone's were a little different while still going along with our color palette.

Jewelry photos by me

Tracy also made six matching bracelets for the girls — these were all the same.

Non-pro photo by SIL Cupcake

I have nothing but raves for Tracy and her work. Also, for a bride like me who had zero time to make jewelry myself (especially considering it's something I have never done before), it didn't feel like I was going broke just by paying someone else to do it; her prices were very reasonable. The earrings ranged from $12-$18 per pair, the bridesmaids bracelets were $22 each, and my bracelet was $40. She uses high-quality materials and has a great eye for what she does.

Tracy doesn't have a website, but I'm trying to talk her into opening an Etsy shop... in the meantime, if you'd like her contact information, send me a PM or comment on this post and I'll get her email address to you!

No comments: