Saturday, June 14, 2008

Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams (Minus the Caviar Part)

Lately I have been having a love affair with old-fashioned coupe champagne glasses. They always look so classy in old movies like Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman:


I decided a few months ago that there won't be any modern toasting flutes for Mr. Cupcake and me at our wedding, and so began the hunt for the perfect coupe champagne glasses to go along with our vintage vibe.

I have seen lots of these on ebay and at secondhand shops, but they're usually a little too casual looking and I wanted something with a bit more flair than this:

Image from Wikipedia

Yet a bit less expensive than this:

$232 (plus shipping) for a set of 8 on ebay

$45 per glass (plus shipping) on ebay

I was surprised to find that Waterford makes a really lovely coupe glass, but of course, these are not available at any of our 3 registry locations, and I'm too cheap to buy 'em myself ;-):

Waterford Crystal Lismore Essence Champagne Saucer,
$79.50 each at Neiman Marcus

While taking a walk to get some lunch the other day with a few co-workers, we happened upon these cool coupe glasses with a really pretty silver flower and leaf design in the window of a local secondhand shop:

Sorry, I still haven't replaced my crappy camera
and this was the best shot I could get without a flash!

I went inside to check them out, and they were $46.50 for the set of six (and completely lovely). Although the stem is pretty short and I was picturing something a bit taller, I decided that the charming design outweighs any concern I have about the stem, and I love that they're actually vintage (although I'm unsure of how old they really are). I can totally picture Mr. Cupcake and me toasting with these on our wedding day, so I bit the bullet and bought them!

Here is another photo that I took with the flash, which unfortunately creates some annoying reflections, but you can get a better idea of what the silver design looks like.


Has anyone else been on the hunt for the perfect vintage coupe champagne glasses?

No comments: