Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Invitation inspiration

It happened in a flash.... there I was, driving home from work one day, when BAM! The image of our wedding invitations flashed before my eyes. I rushed home, opened Adobe Illustrator, and got to work creating a masterpiece. Within a few hours, voila — we had our invitations.

Okay, that's a little bit of a fib. Oh alright, that's a big fib. It's a downright dirty lie. If you look at my master wedding to-do list, "start designing invitations" was back on February's list. Well, there I found myself in early May, still hemming and hawing over what in the world to do for our wedding invitations. The few designs I started to work on brutally sucked and kind of made me want to throw up a little when I looked at them. I knew I had to get the design to the printer by early June in order to allow ample production time, but the outlook was grim. I was putting a lot of pressure on myself, and it became difficult to come up with anything that I didn't despise.

Then, I don't know how it happened, but somehow, eventually, I managed to put together an invitation design that I didn't hate — actually, I quite liked it. But it certainly didn't take just a few hours. Oh no. I obsessed over those babies for quite a few weeks. Nitpicking here. Kerning type there. Swapping out typefaces, tweaking Pantone colors, and subjecting my talented coworkers to surveys like "if you were a thank you card, which one would you be?" while giving them three layouts to choose from.

Last week, the day actually came when I was ready to send my invitation suite to the printer. I felt butterflies in my tummy, but they were butterflies of excitement. It's really happening! Our wedding is getting closer! People are actually going to get invitations for this shindig!!!

Without further ado, I present to you..........

Hehe, just teasing.... Did you really think I'd make it that easy for you? Did you think I'd just show you the whole she-bang, just like that? Oh no, you're going to have to wait till these puppies are in the hands of our guests ;-) Sorry, Charlie! But, until then, here's a little teaser to give you a glimpse into what I've been up to....

2 comments:

mey said...

do you mind telling me where you got the scroll punch?

brooke @ claremont road said...

Hi Mey,

My invitations were actually custom die-cut. The die is not something you can use without a printing press; it has to be done professionally. You can read more about the full invitation suite here: http://blushingdesigns.blogspot.com/2008/08/and-theyre-off.html

Thanks!! :-)