Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Cake, Revisited

Let's face it: the cake is pretty much the most fun part of wedding planning. I mean, what about the wedding cake isn't fun? It's pretty, it's yummy, and it has two of my favorite ingredients: sugar and butter. Mmmmm.

A while back I had posted about the fabulousness that is Sweet Jazmine's, and our desire for a cake that looks like a hybrid of these two:



But then, my constant need for something unique got the best of me, and I decided that I wanted to use these cakes as inspiration for creating our own one-of-a-kind cake design.

So with a lot of thought and a quick little rendering in Adobe Illustrator, I came up with this cake design:

The larger middle tier pays homage to the April Reed cake design, which was the one detail that Mr. Cupcake really liked and wanted to keep. The quilting effect on the bottom and top tiers emulate a design detail on our invitations (which you will see soon, I promise! :-)), while the middle tier with a teal ribbon accent and the "seal" with our names is a cute little personalized detail. I know that monograms tend to be all the rage these days, but I wanted to do something a little different (shocker, I know!) and I think our names look cute. The cake will also be topped with a cluster of white flowers, which I didn't think were necessary to illustrate :-)

Kim and Brooke, the lovely ladies at Sweet Jazmine's, liked my little sketch (or, at least, if they thought it was OCD of me, they didn't let on one bit). They will use it as a guide for creating our uber delicious lemon delight cake, which is two layers of lemon pound cake and one layer of lemon curd and lemon buttercream.

Are you having your baker copy a cake design that you love, or are you using your favorite cake designs as inspiration for something unique?

No comments: