Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Handing Over The Reigns

Yesterday was a jam-packed day of wedding appointments for Momma Cupcake and me. I took the day off of work so we could have meetings with the florist at 11 a.m., the baker at 1:30 p.m., and the catering manager at our venue at 3:00 p.m. In a matter of 6 hours, I feel like we got so much accomplished!

Although a little chaotic, I am really glad that I arranged things this way. With about two months left until the wedding, having all of these big meetings on the same day forced me to get organized with all of my final ideas a little earlier than I may have otherwise, since, aside from the catering manager at our venue, I likely won't meet with the florist and baker again before the wedding. It was also really helpful to have vendor conversations fresh in my mind while meeting with the catering manager, so no detail goes overlooked.

I am not going to lie — I was definitely up until 1:30 in the morning the night before, making sure I printed all of the right photos and wrote down all of the questions I needed to ask. But, the feeling of having handed over the reigns to at least two of my vendors does feel somewhat blissful, albeit a little scary!

One thing about wedding planning that has been a little difficult for me has been putting trust in others to make my visions a reality. I am a detail-obsessed perfectionist who would usually rather slave over a project for hours by myself than ask someone for help and risk that it won't be done "my" way. But at this point, ladies, let's face it: I am exhausted. It is time to not only start asking for help and delegating, but it's time to trust that our vendors will pull through and pull off a beautiful wedding that is uniquely ours. I have given them every ounce of information that I could possibly give them, so it's time to take a deep breath, take a step back, and leave the rest to the professionals.

Have you had a hard time handing over the reigns to your vendors?

No comments: