Sunday, January 13, 2008

But it's not just a mixer....

It's the mixer. The KitchenAid Stand Mixer, that is!

Mr. Cupcake and I are still slowly adding things to our Bed, Bath & Beyond and Crate and Barrel gift registries, but this one item was a no-brainer. It is the Dalai Lama of all stand mixers. I am not exactly a chef, but I have always loved to bake and there's nothing like having a really good mixer to help you out. I miss using my mom's retro pea green mixer from the 70s now that I don't live at home anymore, and I'm really excited to have one of my own soon.

When we were out registering, Mr. Cupcake was allowed full control over the scanner gun (because he's still a little kid like that), but I wanted to personally scan my dream mixer myself, which he so graciously allowed. We originally registered for the 5-Quart Artisan Stand Mixer in Metallic Chrome, which is $299:


However, I was actually a tiny bit disappointed to find that it's not actually chrome like the Custom Metallic Stand Mixer, which is a whopping $499. I just couldn't justify registering for something that cost $200 more just because it looked prettier, though!

Sigh.... she is pretty, no?

I decided that I'd be happier with our registry addition if I could spruce it up with a little color, and I love the pretty Ice blue:


I told Mr. Cupcake that I went ahead and changed the color choice on our registry, which he was fine with, but he then asked if in 20 years the color will be dated and uncool? I said it might be, but as weird as it sounds, I kind of like the fact that the pea green color of my mom's old mixer was a reminder that she had gotten it when she got married in the 70s. My kids might roll their eyes and say "Mom's mixer is so 2008," but they'll remember it, won't they? :-) Mr. Cupcake understood (or maybe just decided to smile and nod to make me happy), and the Ice blue mixer will soon be ours.

What was the one registry item that got you really excited?

No comments: