Saturday, January 19, 2008

Momma Cupcake's Wedding invitations

You may have noticed that my posts have been a little sparse over the last few weeks, but I assure you it is with good reason: my mom, who is getting married next month, asked me to design her wedding invitations, and I happily obliged! Since the wedding isn't too far off, time was of the essence, so I had to put blogging on the back-burner for a little while.

Momma Cupcake and her fiance, George, are having a small ceremony and brunch reception with about 40 guests at Simon Pearce, a fantastic restaurant in the heart of Chester County, Pa., on the banks of the Brandywine River. The restaurant is named for the Irish glassblower of the same name, whose amazing glass designs (and that of his artisans) are found throughout the restaurant and its attached shop. You can also hang out on the first floor of the beautiful building and watch artisans creating their masterpieces — sometimes Mr. Cupcake and I will go if we're in the area just to sit and watch the glassblowers.

Momma Cupcake and George met at Simon Pearce on their first date six years ago (set up by mutual friends), and it is where they go to celebrate anniversaries and other special occasions, so it is the perfect place for their wedding. The ceremony will be held in a private dining room and the brunch reception will be held in the main restaurant area. This is a perfect, intimate place for a wedding with less than 50 guests!

Photos via simonpearce.com

Momma Cupcake and George wanted an invitation that wasn't too formal-looking but not overly casual, and they wanted it to convey the beautiful area surrounding Simon Pearce as well as the season. I decided to use some warm metallic-toned card stocks combined with a matte ivory stock for the invitation that create a nice (but not cold) wintry feeling. I used a tree motif in the bottom left and top right corners of the invitation to represent the rural Brandywine River area surrounding Simon Pearce. It took me a few days to pull together the design, and luckily Momma Cupcake is an ideal client who simply said "I love it! Print it!" and left me to it :-)



A day after I finished putting them all together, they were in the mail and the responses are already coming in! Sometimes, having less time to obsess makes brides get things done faster, I guess.... but I wouldn't know anything about that ;-)

No comments: