Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Hug or a Handshake?

I am sure that other's have felt the same awkwardness in similar situations, but sometimes I feel that I am particularly awkward and hesitant when it comes to one simple question: a hug or a handshake?

You know how it is..... you run into someone that you haven't seen in a while, maybe someone you're not particularly close to anymore.... you're caught off guard by running into them, and all of a sudden, you think, am I supposed to hug them? Do I stand here uncomfortably with my arms crossed and see if they initiate a hug? Do I just wave like a dork?

There are friends who I see often and immediately give a big bear-hug to every time I see them. I always give my parents a kiss on the cheek and a half-hug when I see them. Cousins, aunts, uncles, former roommates..... hug, hug, hug, hug. But when it comes to my wedding day, there will be a range of people making their way through the receiving line. There will be guests who are closer to Mr. Cupcake than they are to me, or some of his extended family members who I've only met a few times, or co-workers' spouses that I've made small-talk with here and there; I get strangely terrified at the thought of the awkwardness that could ensue. After all, there is nothing worse then reaching out for a handshake only to realize that the HSR (HandShake Recipient) is going in for the hug, making for a painfully uncomfortable back-patting debacle.

Will people feel shunned if I hug their significant other and go in for the handshake with them? Do I hug people I barely know? How do you classify your guests as "hug-worthy" vs. "handshake material"?

Does anyone else out there worry about this silly stuff like I do? Anyone????

1 comment:

Syana said...

thank god, now I don't feel as lonely in this world anymore ^^ I always thought I was going psycho because I was the only one thinking about the difficult "hug or shake" situation...

Same goes for kisses. Do I just stand there and say hello? Optionally wave like some kind of loser ? Give 1,2,3 or 4 kisses ?? ( it changes a lot if you travel! I get so lost !! ) In France it's 4 kisses, in my country it's 3...but sometimes you just don't know, and there you go: you're stuck in that awkward moment when you are about to give a third kiss on the cheek but the other person is removing his face from your reach, so you end up kissing "air" and looking all stupid.

DOn't worry ! I also think about it...a lot ! hahaha