Saturday, May 10, 2008

Accessorize Me, Part One

Last weekend Mr. Cupcake and I went to visit Brother and Sister-in-Law Cupcake in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Sunday turned out to be a beautiful spring day, so the four of us ventured into Manhattan to try to find some wedding accessories — particularly ties for the guys, and jewelry for me.

My brother is a successful menswear designer, so Mr. Cupcake and I trust and value his opinion. With a swatch of the bridesmaids dresses in-hand, we journeyed to Macy's to find some ties. Sure, we could have gone to any Macy's to find ties (there's probably 4 or 5 within a 30 minute drive from where we live), but why not go to the Macy's of all Macy's? After all, it is.....

Photo found here

I was originally picturing the groomsmen wearing something with stripes, but I was really liking the subtle paisley design that the guys found for the groomsmen, and the tonal stripe for Mr. Cupcake. Brother Cupcake felt that bold stripes would be too much for the groomsmen, so I put my trust in him and we bought 'em all.


It's hard to tell in the photo, but the paisley ties have a light teal accent, and I think they'll be the perfect complement to the bold-colored bridesmaid's dresses.


The ties were nicely priced at $39.50 for the paisleys and $45.00 for the striped, plus 20% off for the sale that was going on AND an additional 15% off because Mr. Cupcake opened a Macy's charge account.... so our grand total for 6 ties came to $135.95. We saved $106.55! I love a deal. Now all we have left to find are ties for the dads.... oh, and tuxes :-)

SIL Cupcake and I then headed over to the jewelry department at Macy's. I mentioned in a previous post that I am accessorizingly challenged (yes, I made that word up). SIL Cupcake has a great sense of style and always has great jewelry, so I recruited her to help me find some fab earrings. I found one pair that wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but I liked them, and I decided to give them a shot.

Sorry for the blurry photo!

Since Mr. Cupcake had opened a Macy's charge, I was able to make use of his discount and the current sale, so I got these $50 earrings for about $37.

More to come throughout the week on the hunt for the perfect (and affordable) accessories! In the meantime, what great bargains have you found on accessories for your wedding day?

No comments: