Monday, May 26, 2008

Smash That

Over this past holiday weekend, Mr. Cupcake and I met with his home pastor who will be performing our wedding ceremony. We went over the order of the ceremony, the basic logistics, and some options for the prayers and vows that we'll be incorporating into our ceremony. Easy peasy.

However, towards the end of our meeting, the pastor (who is normally very laid back and light-hearted) suddenly got very serious, and I got a little nervous. He wanted to let us know that there is one big thing about many of the weddings he has presided over and attended that he disapproves of.... Mr. Cupcake and I sat quietly waiting for him to complete his thought....

He told us that the one thing that he absolutely hates about some weddings.... is the infamous smashing of the cake at the reception.

Photo found here

Photo found here

Photo found here

Mr. Cupcake and I quickly reassured him that we are also not fans of this tradition, and before we even became engaged we always said that we would never, ever smash the cake into the other's face at our hypothetical wedding. I have nothing against the people who do decide to do this and can enjoy getting a good laugh out of it (and enjoy giving their guests a good laugh), but it is just not for me. Thankfully, Mr. Cupcake has always agreed, so there will be no surprises during our cake cutting.

I prefer a nice, sweet, feeding-of-the-cake-to-my-new-spouse, like this:

Photo found here

After all, I'm spending all this money on hair and makeup — there is no way I'm going to let it get all messed up with icing in every nook, cranny and crevice of my face! I actually think I'd be really, really upset if this happened to me in front of all my friends and family and I had to take time away from my reception to go get cleaned up.

What are your feelings on the cake-smashing frenzy? Have you and your FI discussed what you'll do, or will you just see what happens in the moment?

No comments: