Thursday, March 6, 2008

I Said "Classic".... He Heard "Drag Queen"

Disclaimer: I have been hesitant to post about my recent hair & makeup trials, because honestly, I'm a little embarrassed to post the photos! At least, the makeup trial photos. Yes, that's how much I disliked my first makeup trial. Let me start at the beginning.

I first contacted a stylist in the Philadelphia area who I have seen mentioned often on the Knot boards. She and I arranged for a trial at my mom's house; when she got there, we never stopped chatting it up! She was so sweet, and took her time looking through the photos that I had collected and talked to me about what I was going for. She did 3 really great styles in the 90 minutes I had before I had to jet. Now, the styles weren't completely refined, because we were short on time, but I love what she did and I know she would do a spectacular job on the wedding day. Here is my favorite style that is absolutely exactly what I want:

I love that it doesn't look too structured with ringlet curls or anything hugely poofy and unnatural; it has a kind of casual yet glamorous look that I think goes with the overall look that I'm going for. With a little more smoothing out and a tiny bit more volume/styling up front, it would be just perfect!

The problem: the stylist who read my hairstyling mind has another wedding to work the morning of my wedding, and although she said she would get there in time to do my hair, I just panic thinking about what would happen if she's running late with wedding #1 and the whole schedule is thrown off. I also found out that all six of my bridesmaids and the two moms want their hair done, so including me, that is a whopping nine hairdos that need to be done. There's just no way I can take the chance. Granted, she had told me about the other wedding before we had the trial, but I didn't think it was a problem at the time, so it is totally my fault that I didn't fully think things through. Crap.

I then scheduled a second trial for both hair and makeup at another location. This company's website describes that they specialize in on-location styling for weddings and other events. Their prices are completely reasonable and they'll bring as many stylists as they need on your wedding day. Perfect, right?

Eh, not so much.

After showing the hairstylist the same photos that I had showed stylist #1, she got right to work without asking many questions. Actually, she barely talked to me the whole time she was working on my hair, and she had my chair turned away from the mirror so I couldn't even see what she was doing to comment or request changes. I could tell she wasn't really doing what I wanted, but I honestly didn't even feel like speaking up because I just wasn't getting the right vibe and didn't think this place was going to work out.

The best photo I could get by setting my timer:
Totally haphazard and falling out by the time I got home

After two styles that just weren't what I wanted, I went over to the makeup chair hoping for the best. The makeup artist seemed knowledgeable and friendly, and he asked me what I was looking for. I explained that I wanted to look like me, natural, but more refined and classic. I said I would like the focus on my eyes, with a more subtle lip. He suggested going for some old Hollywood glamour. I was interested in his ideas, and thought it would be the classic look I was going for, but I specified again that I didn't want really red lips or anything too harsh.

He set off to work and I liked where things were headed in the beginning.... and then, the black eyeliner came out. It went from zero to "drag queen" in a matter of moments. I am not lying when I say I actually frightened myself when I looked in the mirror. I mean, I have big eyes to begin with — line 'em with black liquid liner and I am ready for center stage in "Cats" on Broadway. I thought maybe I just needed some time to get used to it, so while I was trying to do just that, he got to work on my lips. All I have to say is there was red, there was lip-liner, and there was sticky glitter. Oh no he didn't. (Oh yes, he did.)

I had definitely already given up on this place, so when my makeup was done, I smiled and nodded, paid my money, and told them I'd be in touch. I know, I shouldn't have lied.... but I just didn't have the heart to tell them how much I truly disliked their work. I put on my shades as quickly as possible to cover up scary-eyes, and when I got back to my apartment, I prayed that I wouldn't bump into anyone I know on the way from my car to my front door. (I didn't.)

For the sake of full disclosure to the hive, I will swallow my pride and present to you "Cupcake the Drag Queen":
EEK! Serious, scary, black-eyelined, red-lipped Cupcake. Not what you'd call "classic but natural"

Another shot.... I'm smiling on the outside, but ready to start belting out "Memories" on the inside

So, back to the drawing board I go yet again! I think I have found some good stylists who are available for my wedding day and have reasonable prices, but I still haven't had the much-anticipated trials (and truthfully I'm really dreading the thought of any other trials not working out because I can't see wasting more money on this!). Has anyone else had a hard time finding stylists to beautify them on their big day?

No comments: