Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Wedding Hours: Clocking In

Lately I have started to wonder how much time I have really spent planning our wedding.

Most of my lunch hours these days are spent returning vendor phone calls or catching up on a few wedding blogs to try and catch a quick bit of inspiration. I come home at the end of the day, and the laptop usually makes it's way in front of me pretty promptly. If I'm not emailing a potential vendor, organizing my wedding binder, or poring over my latest Excel spreadsheet, I'm seeking out ideas online (including, of course, on Weddingbee!). There have definitely been one too many evenings that I have looked up from my computer to realize that it's well past my intended bedtime. Sometimes I have a lot to show for it and I feel like my time was well-spent (our save the dates, for instance)... other times, though, I just go to bed thinking, what did I actually accomplish in the last 3 hours?

This fairly common occurrence has started to make me wonder: if I give myself a time limit to perform certain wedding tasks, can I stick with it? Will it teach me a lesson in wedding time-management, or will limiting myself to X hours per task just make me feel more pressured to make the right decisions more quickly? I think it's very possible that "clocking in" would make me more accountable for my wedding planning hours, and in turn a little more sane if I had a few extra hours per week to relax. I might just have to try it....

Do you give yourself a time limit for wedding tasks, or do you keep researching and working until you get exactly what you want?

No comments: